University of Texas,
Sigma Pi Sigma Chapter Installation 1946

 

Sigma Pi Sigma 1946

 

UT Physics Faculty Members & Staff, Sigma Pi Sigma Charter Installation, 1946
(picture courtesy of Lois Mallory)

(Identification of people in this picture constituted quite a challenge, I especially wish to acknowledge the invaluable help from Lois Mallory, George Thurston and Clarence Newton. Our success testifies to the significant footprints left by these faculty and graduates)

Back Row: L to R: W. W. Robertson, William Witt Bradshaw, Louis Fred Connell Jr., Clarence Jonathan Newton, George B. Thurston, Aaron Serif, John Gammel, Maybe Gustav Joseph Akerland, Mary Gowen Foulks

Third Row: L to R: F. A. Matsen, J. J. Miller, Walter Pondrom, Claude Horton, Robert N. Little, Ervin J. Prouse, Erna Herzog Pearson, Angus George Pearson, Robert L. “Bob” Chuoke, Walter Kuehne, Lloyd Eugene Gourley Jr.

Second Row: L to R: C. J. Sanders, Nathan Ginsburg, Mary Juanita Hill, Mark Alan Böesser, William Conyers Herring, Richard Walfred Johnston, Leonard Berger Lipson, Anne Notley Phillips, Donald D. Phillips, Lela Mae Jeffrey

Front Row: L to R: Robert Bardeen Watson, Unknown, John M. Kuehne, S. Leroy Brown, Harold A. Wilson (Rice Institute), Malcolm Y. Colby (Chair), Marsh W. White (Sec. National Sigma Pi Sigma), Darrell S. Hughes, C. Paul Boner, Arthur E. Lockenvitz

Information about those in this photo.

—First Row, Left to Right—

Robert Bardeen Watson, Associate Professor of Physics. Ph.D. Harvard , Thesis Title, The Modulation of Sound Decay Curves, 1941. Served on UT Physics faculty.

Unknown, (He is likely to be visiting faculty representing some nearby school.)

John M. Kuehne, Professor of Physics

S. Leroy Brown, Professor of Physics

Wilson, Harold A. (1874-1964) He was born in York, England, the son of a railway clerk. His mother, Anne Gill, was the daughter of a farmer and innkeeper from Topcliffe. Harold had one sister, Lilian, who would marry Sir Owen W. Richardson.
He was educated at Yorkshire College in Leeds, the University of Leeds and the University of Berlin. In 1896, he was a colleague of English physicist J. J. Thomson in Cambridge, and performed one of the earliest measurements of the electron’s charge. George P. Thomson writes of this work in Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society, Vol. 11, (Nov., 1965), pp. 187-201, “In 1903 he published a new determination of the charge on the ions produced by X-rays. He followed J. J. Thomson in using the condensation of water vapour on the ions, discovered by C. T. R. Wilson, as a means of making the ions visible; he also used the rate of free fall of the drops in air to determine their mass as Townsend had done in his measurement of the charges on ions formed in electrolytic gases. He made, however, the great innovation of combining with the rate of free fall the rate of fall in a vertical electric field. This eliminates the need to measure the conductivity produced by X-rays and also makes the experiment independent of the exact expansion used to make the drops. The experiment becomes much neater and more self-contained. He had merely to measure the rates of fall with and without the electric field. His result was indeed about 35% too small but still a valuable determination at the time. The great importance of the experiment, however, was in its fixture as developed by Robert Millikan, both as a precision measurement and as a proof that charges are integral multiples of a unit. Wilson did indeed find good evidence of this, for when he put on the electric field he found his falling cloud split after a few seconds into two and sometimes three levels. Arguing, with good reason, that this was due to the drops having different charges, he found the ratio of the charges to be nearly l : 2 : 3. Wilson used throughout a fairly intense ionization and in consequence had a falling cloud of which he observed the top edge. He did not observe individual drops and in most cases his field pulled the drops downwards to reduce the time of fall and so minimize errors due to evaporation. Millikan’s early work with Begeman was also done with water drops, but he observed single drops so that he could allow for a slow evaporation. This was possible partly because he had made a battery capable of 10,000 volts while that available to Wilson only gave 2,000 volts. Later, of course, he introduced oil drops and the evaporation difficulty was over.” Wilson told J. J. Thomson some two years before his death that he believed the suggestion to use an electric field came originally from Townsend.

Wilson was awarded his D. Sc. from London in 1900. From 1901 to 1904, he was a Clerk-Maxwell Student the Cavendish Laboratory. He became a lecturer in Physics at King’s College London, then professor at the college in 1905. In 1909 he was a professor at McGill University in Montreal. He joined the Rice Institute in 1912, becoming the first chair of the physics department. He spent a year at the University of Glasgow in 1924 before becoming a physicist for an oil company in Houston. He retired from Rice University in 1947. His presence in the picture was probably as an honored guest. William Vermillion Houston is also on the list in attendance, adjacent to Wilson’s name, however I can not identify him in picture.

Malcolm Y. Colby, Professor of Physics

Marsh W. White, (1897-1999), National Secretary of Sigma Pi Sigma, Professor of Physics. The first Penn State University Ph.D. was awarded to 30-year-old Marsh White in 1926 for a thesis on The Energy of High Velocity Electrons. A graduate of Park College in Parkville, Mo., White was recruited to Penn State in 1918, four years before the Graduate School was formally established. He was offered the equivalent of a teaching assistantship—$900 for nine months' teaching at the assistant instructor level—and received his master's degree in 1920; his thesis topic was, "On the Relation Between the Coefficients of Absorption of X-rays and the Velocity of the Parent Cathode Particles." White taught on the physics faculty at Penn State until his retirement in 1961. He held various officer and board positions of the national Sigma Pi Sigma organization until 1968. He died in 1999 at the age of 102.

Darrell S. Hughes, Professor of Physics

Charles Paul Boner, Professor of Physics

Arthur E. Lockenvitz, Professor of Physics

—Second Row, Left to Right—

Claris Jesse Sanders, Assistant Professor of Physics. He was born March 17, 1904 in Mason County, Texas, and died of a heart attack August 17, 1949, in the same county. He received his B. A. from The University of Texas in 1926 and his M. A. from the same school a year later. He began his teaching career at Texas Christian University in 1929. In 1930, he returned to The University of Texas where, except for eighteen months of research work for an independent geophysical company, he remained with the Department of Physics until the time of his death, at which time he held the rank of assistant professor.

Sanders was interested in all nature and possessed a knowledge born of his interests, for he took instinctively to research. This knowledge was varied and immediate; it was detailed of the things that were near him. The grasses that were most palatable to the cattle, the weeds that made the early spring pasturage -- he knew them all and greeted them every year with the same interest with which he observed some new approach to an old problem in physics. He knew how to recognize the symptoms of various ailments of range cattle, how to judge and market stock, and how to make any sort of precise and accurate electrical measurement. This interest engendered interest in others. Many of his friends learned to observe the conditions of pastures and stock along the road or otherwise to interest themselves in the simple things of nature.

Some people are born to create, others to appreciate and understand. C. J, was of the latter. Many times he developed the theoretical causes of published effects; but his only record of the work was a few penciled notes. It is unfortunate that the published record of the productivity of a great mind is not more extensive.

His vicarious contributions to science, through his contribution of knowledge and encouragement to his friends and associates, were many. To the student, he was an especially important person. Few men without official capacity have received so many letters from graduates of the University. Many graduates of later years, particularly the best, wrote him, sometimes for technical aid, but more often simply because they remembered him as a friend. When doing their graduate work, they had come to him for two reasons. First, they felt no embarrassment in showing their ignorance because he was always friendly, rarely critical, and had the knack of setting their reasoning straight in such a way that they were able to use their own knowledge and intelligence in arriving at the answers they needed; and second, he knew many subtle points of theory, tricks of laboratory practice, and saving short cuts in mathematics.

Although he held membership in no church, his daily life was a manifestation of a deep and sincere religion based on a sound philosophy and a high standard of ethics. Regarding children and the church, his views were particularly enlightening. He held that, regardless of the religion -- or lack of religion -- of the parents, the children should be taken to Sunday school or to church because such was part of their American heritage.

Perhaps there is more that should be said of C, J. Sanders as a scientist and as a counselor of his friends, but none of those things could account for the acute sense of loss, of emptiness that his passing caused. Our greatest loss was the loss of a friend.

Eugene Ennis, J. J. Miller, A. E. Lockenvitz, M. Y. Colby, Chairman
Filed with the Secretary of the General Faculty, February 1950.

Nathan Ginsburg, Assistant Professor of Physics, received his bachelor's and master's degrees from Ohio State University and his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan. He taught at the University of Texas and joined the Syracuse University physics department in 1946. He became associate professor in 1948, and professor in 1952. He served as acting dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1972–1973. He was Chair in 1975. Ginsburg retired from SU in 1976 to join the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C., where he explored the optical properties of oxide layers on semiconductors. He was heavily involved in naval research, particularly the effects of microwaves. One of his most notable achievements was the design and construction of a vacuum, far-infrared grating spectrometer in 1957. He was a fellow of the American Physical Society and the Optical Society of America. Nathan Ginsburg died on March 22, 1996 at the age of 86.

 

 

Mary Juanita Hill Gammel, graduate student in physics, BS 1945, MA 1951. According to the Alcalde alumni magazine, she joined the staff of the Los Alamos Scientific Lab, Weapons Division, in 1968.

Mark Alan Böesser, (1926–), Undergraduate. Born in Winston-Salem, NC, he was at Sewanee when he joined the V-12 Program. The V-12 Navy College Training Program was designed to supplement the force of commissioned officers in the United States Navy during World War II. Between July 1, 1943, and June 30, 1946, more than 125,000 men were enrolled in the V-12 program in 131 colleges and universities in the United States. V-12 participants were required to carry 17 credit hours and 9-1/2 hours of physical training each week. Study was year-round, and the number of terms for a trainee depended on his previous college background, if any, and his course of study. From the V-12 program, most of the Navy candidates went on to a four-month course at a reserve midshipmen's school (Mark instead went on a Patrol Craft Sweeper [PCS-1445] to the Aleutians), and the Marine candidates went to boot camp and then to the 12-week Officer Candidate Course at Quantico, Virginia. The curriculum was heavy on math and science for "regulars" (those entering college for the first time). Those students who already had some college credit, or "irregulars", were allowed to continue in their majors with the addition of courses in mathematics and science. After military service Mark came back to UT in 1947 for a year of graduate work in physics. He married Mildred Post in 1948 in Palo Alto, CA and attended Virginia Theological Seminary becoming an Episcopal priest. He and his wife currently (2010) live in Juneau, Alaska. They have 4 daughters.

 

 

Conyers Herring, Professor of Applied Mathematics, came to Texas from the Division of War Research at Columbia University where he worked during World War II. At Texas he worked on thermionic emission. He left in 1946 to join the technical staff at Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, N.J. In an oral history for the American Institue of Physics, Herring commented on his time at U. of Texas, "Yes. The academic salary at U. of Missouri was quite good. But Texas offered me a higher salary and somehow I thought it would be a little more glamorous living in Texas, so I accepted their appointment. But I accepted it to start in the second semester, which would be January 1946. So for the last few months of 1945, I took about a three month temporary job at Bell Laboratories.'

"Let's see. I was actually not in the physics department at Texas. I was in the applied mathematics department. They have two mathematics departments, I was in applied mathematics. I was the only physicist in that department, but they did want it to expand in theoretical physics. They asked me did I have any names to suggest to them for people they can hire, and I was appalled at the extreme rejection they showed for the names that I suggested because both of them were Jewish and one was a woman." The two he suggested were Jenny Rosentha and Eugene Feenberg. (This is somewhat surprising as Feenberg had been a graduate student in the UT physics department.—Mel Oakes) Herring states that no one in administration expressed this sentiment; it came from a senior person in the applied mathmatics department.

 

After a very productive career with Bell he joined Stanford University. He won the Wolf Prize for his orthogonalized plane wave method of calculating electron energy levels in metals, insulators and semiconductors. He was born on Nov. 15, 1914, in Scotia, N.Y., to William and Mary Herring. He grew up in Parsons, Kansas, and was so advanced that he started school in the fifth grade at the age of 5. Even at a young age, he would finish his homework quickly and spent his free time thinking, often about physics. At age 14, he entered the University of Kansas, where he completed his bachelor’s degree in astronomy in 1933. He spent a year studying at the California Institute of Technology and then moved to Princeton University, where he received a PhD in physics in 1937 under Eugene Wigner, a Nobel Prize winner/ While in graduate school he switched his focus from astrophysics to solid-state physics, a decision that profoundly affected the field. For the next two years he served as a National Research Council Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It was there that he began developing ways to calculate the energy levels of electrons.

 

 

Richard Walfred Johnston, graduate student, born 1919. PhD 1965, thesis: Angular Distributions and Excitation Functions of the Ground State Neutrons Resulting from the Nitrogen -14 (Deuteron, Neutron)Oxygen-15 Reaction.

Leonard Berger Lipson (1922-), MA 1946, PhD 1953 entitled Investigation of Heterogeneous-fluid-flow Through Porous Media by Means of Radio-tracers. He was from Houston. This picture from 1942 Cactus.

 

 

Anne Notley (Phillips), She began attending classes at UT on June 5, 1942. She completed her physics degree at UT in 3 years by taking courses year-round, including summers. She earned an M.S. in Physics at UT.

 

 

 

Donald D. Phillips Sr, born in Western New York state, he enrolled at Schreiner Institute in Kerrville in 1931 to complete high school. He earned an AA degree there in 1935. He received from UT a BA in Physics in 1937, an MA in 1939 and a PhD in 1949. He served as an Instructor at UT from 9/42–8/47 and Staff Member at Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory 10/1947-2/1978. He married Anne Notley (Phillips), in picture, on June 23, 1945. Prior to that date, she had received her MS in Physics at UT. She began attending classes at UT on June 5, 1942.

"Obituary of Donald D. Phillips Sr., age 85, died Friday, February 11, 2000, in St. Louis, Missouri, after a lingering illness following a stroke in November. He was at peace with God and the previous Sunday had celebrated a late Thanksgiving dinner surrounded by his family. Don had lived in Los Alamos from 1947 to 1994 and then had made his home in Albuquerque. Beloved husband of the late Anne Notley Phillips; dear father of son, D. Davis Phillips Jr. of Austin, TX; and daughter, Elizabeth Phillips Dee of St. Louis, MO; grandfather of Lois E. Phillips and Meaghan A. Dee; father-in-law of Katherine Newberry Phillips and of Thomas M. Dee. In memory of our dear uncle, great-uncle, brother-in-law, cousin and good friend a memorial service will be held at Trinity-on-the-Hill Episcopal Church in Los Alamos on Wednesday, February 16 at 12:00 noon. Memorials may be made to Trinity-on-the-Hill Episcopal Church, 3900 Trinity Dr., Los Alamos, NM 87544 or to the charity of one's choice. Arrangements are under the direction of Berardinelli Family Funeral Service, 1399 Luisa, Santa Fe, 984-8600."

Lela Mae Jeffrey (1925–2006), (Using Sigma Pi Sigma member list, a process of elimination identifies Lela). There is a Lela that earned a MA in chemistry in 1949. She had a very distinguished career in oceanography at Texas A&M. She apparently died in 2006. The picture at the right is of a Lela Mae Jeffrey at A&M in chemistry. This doesn’t look much like the woman in the picture. Dr. Jeffrey was a native of Teague, Texas. She graduated as valedictorian from Teague High School and furthered her education at the University of Texas; Stephen F. Austin at Nacogdoches; and Scripps Institute of California, where she obtained a Masters of Science degree in Oceanography and a Masters in Physiology. In 1954, she was the only woman in the South with an MA in Oceanography. She married Chester L. Kirby on January 15, 1977 in Grimes, Texas.

She was preceded in death by her father John C. Jeffrey; mother, Mary E. Jordon-
Jeffrey; brother John T. Jeffrey; husband Chester Lyle Kirby.

—Third Row, Left to Right—

Frederick Albert Matsen, Professor of Physics & Chemistry

John Jaimison “J squared” Miller, PhD 1936, Assistant Professor. Miller was born in Cumby, TX, May 26, 1902, to John James and Sadie Bell Hudson Miller. He attended East Texas Normal College in Commerce, Texas. The school was one building run by Dr. William L. Mayo. Texas A&M purchased the school in 1917 and it later became East Texas State Teachers College. Following study there, he taught high school Spanish at Sulphur Springs, TX before attending the University of Texas at Austin. He married Grace Jennings in 1928. He became a physics major after taking a physics course. He earned his B.S. , M.S. and Ph.D. (~1936) at UT. His thesis title was The Crystal Structure of Anhydrous Sodium Chromate. He served as an Instructor and Assistant Professor. He left in 1952 to be the Chair of the University of Idaho’s Physics Department. He retired in 1967 after which he returned to Texas. He lived in Burnet, Texas until his death in 1995, at the age of 93. (Daughter Juanita Miller Vaughn of Austin provided this information).

Walter L. Pondrom, Jr.
BS 1937, MS 1938, PhD 1951. Professor. He later became Chief of Physical Research for the Development Division of Autonetics, connected with North American Aviation, Inc. “Dr. Pondrom, his wife the former Josephine Kolar, BBA ’35, and their daughter live at 1054 North Glenhaven, Fullerton, CA.” (from The Alcalde, Jan. 1963)

Claude W. Horton, Sr., Professor of Physics

Robert N. Little, Professor of Physics

Ervin Joseph Prouse, (1905–1998): Born in Anthony, Kansas, on 20 July 1905, Prouse became enamored by the night sky visible from that flat, dark countryside. His future commitment to the study of astronomy was sealed by his sight of Halley`s Comet in 1910. He saved pennies from trapping muskrat in the winter and selling ears of corn in Anthony in the summer to purchase science and history books.

Prouse graduated as valedictorian of his class at Anthony High School, receiving a scholarship to attend the University of Wichita. Two years later he transferred to the University of Kansas in Lawrence, where he received his BA in 1927 and MA in l933. Prouse taught at Washburn College, Topeka, Kansas, for seven years between 1929 and 1937, with an intervening year for graduate work at the University of California at Berkeley (UCB) in 1933-1934. He continued his graduate work in 1937, and earned a PhD in Astronomy from UCB in 1939. Joining the faculty at the University of Texas at Austin (UTA) in 1939, Prouse taught undergraduate and graduate courses in astronomy, mathematics, and physics there from that year until 1972. His research interests were celestial mechanics and the orbits of stars, planets, and satellites.

During World War II, Prouse taught celestial navigation, practical astronomy and general astronomy to Navy cadets. Later, driving from Austin to Houston every Tuesday from 1962 through 1966, he taught the same subjects to three classes of astronauts, the future crews for the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo flights. NASA was extremely pleased with his work with the astronauts.

In a lifetime of dedication to the study of astronomical science, Ervin Prouse was also devoted to teaching and to his students, many of whom continued to maintain contact with him after his retirement. He was so effective as a teacher that one of the UTA Engineering departments insisted on supplementing his salary for teaching an especially needed mathematics course for their majors (a very unusual movement of money across colleges).

Prouse arrived in Austin in 1939, the same year that the McDonald Observatory was dedicated and formally opened on Mt. Locke at Fort Davis, Texas. The observatory was the result of a cooperative agreement between UTA and the Yerkes Observatory of the University of Chicago. After one of Prouse’s month-long stays at McDonald Observatory, in February 1949, he returned to the Austin campus with his recommendations for improvements at the Observatory. At the time, McDonald Observatory had over 10,000 visitors per year, in spite of its remote location in West Texas. Sir Spencer Jones, Astronomer Royal of Great Britain, had been a guest at McDonald during that month. Yet on his return to the Austin campus, Professor Prouse lamented in his notes: "It seems that the science of astronomy must be sold to The University of Texas. The administration is definitely not interested in this endeavor. When it was suggested that members of the McDonald Observatory participate in some small measure at seminars at the University, President T. S. Painter replied that such seminars required an audience."

After that experience, Professor Prouse devoted a great effort throughout his career to "selling" astronomy and, later, the space program. He knew that Texas needed a place to look at the stars scientifically. He was tireless in his devotion to public outreach through public speaking engagements, viewing hours at observatories, and working with students of all ages. He took part in the Texas Academy of Science visiting scientist program in middle and senior high schools. He continued to accept speaking engagements after he and his wife, whom he married in 1927, moved to a retirement home in Amarillo in 1991. A member of Sigma Xi honorary science fraternity, Sigma Pi Sigma physics honorary society, and a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, London, Prouse was a fifty-year member of the American Astronomical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science (Fellow), and the American Association of University Professors. He held membership in the American Mathematical Association and was a Fellow in the Texas Academy of Science.

Prouse retired in the Texas Panhandle to be close to the flat land and the open sky that he loved. As a boy, living on a wheat farm in Kansas, he acquired and never lost his love for the wide-open spaces. He farmed wheat land in the summers from 1927 until 1969. His friends and colleagues remember Prouse as quiet, self-effacing, kind, and considerate, and for his utmost honesty and integrity. He was active for over fifty years in University Methodist Church in Austin and was a long-time member of Kiwanis Clubs in Austin and Amarillo. Professor Prouse is survived by three children, five grandchildren and eleven great grandchildren. His wife Thelma followed him in death in 2000 at age ninety-four.

W. T. Guy. Jr.
University of Texas
Ruth Prouse Morgan
Southern Methodist University
Pictures courtesy of Ruth Prouse Morgan, daughter of Erwin Prouse. She was Professor of Political Science and Provost of Southern Methodist University.

Erna Rosalie Herzog Pearson and Angus George Pearson (1915-83) Both are in the picture. Angus George Pearson was born in Collina, New Brunswick, Canada, just a few miles from where his ancestors settled when they emigrated from England and Scotland in 1815–1822. Angus obtained his B.A. in physics ln 1938 and entered graduate school. In 1941, he met his future wife, Erna Herzog, a student in his freshman physics lab. Being a very conscientious person, he waited until she was no longer his student before asking her for a date. During 1942–1944 of World War Il, Angus enlisted in the Air Corps and was placed in the Reserves so as to teach aircraft recognition, theory of flight, and navigation in the ground school of the Coleman Flying School in Coleman, Texas. Then on August 7, 1943, Angus and Erna were married in Kerrville, Texas, and Angus was naturalized as a citizen of the United States. They had two daughters, Elizabeth Ann (Goldman) and Ellen Gail (Munoz). Later Angus worked for the National Cotton Council in Dallas and Austin on a war project testing the feasibility of using microwaves to kill insects and their eggs in packaged goods. He finished the war as a Testing Machine Operator for the Military Physics Laboratory at The University of Texas. Just before his orals in 1948, some physicists working on the same problem at another institution published the results of their work. This made Angus‘ work ineligible for a PhD so he was awarded an MA degree. In 1946, Erna received an MA in mathematics under the supervision of Harry S. Vandiver. In the Fall of 1950, the Pearsons moved to Atlanta, Georgia, where Angus became Assistant Professor of Physics at Emory University. In 1957, Angus and Erna decided to return to Austin so Angus could attend the University full time and learn the new developments in quantum mechanics, which included learning much about computers. He received a Welch fellowship as he studied under F. A. Matsen, as well as Research Asslstantships. From 1964–1966, while Angus was finishing his Ph., he taught computer programming as a T.A. in the Mathematics Department. Angus' Ph.D. was awarded in June, 1966, when the Pearsons were also invited to join the U.T. Computer Sciences Department. Angus was appointed as an Assistant Professor and Erna was half-time Instructor and half-time Research Scientist at the Computation Center. Angus was primarily interested in undergraduate students and worked as Undergraduate Adviser while on the faculty. He hired and supervised the student assistants and the T.'s involved in the freshman and sophomore courses. In 1973, he was promoted to Associate Professor.

In the early l960's Angus became interested in the international language Esperanto. In 1973, Angus and Erna went to Belgrade where they attended an International Esperanto Congress.

In the fall of 1974, Angus had his first heart attack and had to stay home. He retired in 1976 so he and Erna could travel together.They took several trips to New Brunswick and he was able to attend his UNB class's 45th anniversary. He died quietly on December 4, 1983, with his family around him. He left his body to the University of Texas Medical School.

From Angus Pearson Memorial Resolution was prepared by a Special Committee consisting of Professors David M. Young, Jr. (Chairman), Dr. Norman Martin, and Dr. Charles Warlick.

Robert Chris “Bob” Chuoke Jr., (1929-2008), B. S., M. S. at UT & Ph.D at Rice. Worked for Shell Oil in Houston, lived in Clear Lake Texas. He was an accomplished musician. Jim Thompson said he would listen from his carrel as Bob play the cello on Sunday mornings in a large room in the Rice Library. Jim thinks he might have worked with Professor W. V. Houston at Rice.

Walter Kuehne

 

 

 

 

 

Lloyd E. Gourley Jr. (1923_2006), BS 1946, MA 1948, PhD 1959, became professor of physics at Austin College in Sherman, TX. He was a student of Darrell Hughes. Bob married fellow physics major Mary Gowen Foulks in 1948. She also became a professor of physics at Austin College. Following the death of Mary in 1971 he married Martha J. Terry in 1978.

Obituary for Professor Emeritus Lloyd Gourley
"Austin College Professor Emeritus of Physics Lloyd Gourley, 83, of Sherman, died Oct. 27, 2006. Gourley joined the College in 1959, serving many years as chair of the Physics Department as well as Dean of Sciences. He specialized in the application of computers in the laboratory and the study of the properties of solids at high pressures. He retired from full-time teaching in 1988.


Gourley earned his BS, MA, and PhD, all in physics, from the University of Texas at Austin. Before coming to Austin College, he worked as an assistant physicist with the Atlantic Refining Company, a research physicist with the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, and spent two summers as a staff member at the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory in Los Alamos, NM"

 

 

—Back Row, Left to Right—

William W. Robertson, Professor of Physics

William Witt Bradshaw, (1924–), MA 1951, Thesis entitled A Tuned Electronic Amplifier for an Infrared Spectrograph. Worked at the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, TX.

Louis Fred Connell Jr. (1915–2003), MS, PhD 1948 at UT, Professor of Physics at U. North Texas, 1937–1942 and 1951–1975. Fred was born in Honey Grove, TX on June 25, 1914, the son of Louis Fred and Hazel Price Connell. After graduating from Henrietta M. King High School of Kingsville, TX, in 1930, he entered Texas College of Arts and Industries at Kingsville, where he majored in physics and for two years was an assistant in physics. After receiving his bachelor's degree in 1934, he was a teacher of science in San Diego, Texas High School for one year. In 1935, he enrolled in the University of Texas and earned his master's in August, 1936. During the year 1936–37, he was a teacher of physics and general science in the high school at Eagle Pass, TX. From 1937–42 he served first as instructor, then Assistant Professor at the North Texas State Teachers College, Denton, Texas. The summer of 1938 he spent in graduate study at the University of Texas and the summer of 1939 at the University of Michigan. In May, 1942, he went on active duty as a Lieutenant JG in the U. S. Navy and served as a radar officer until his release to inactive duty in November, 1945, at which time he resumed graduate work at UT. In 1947, he published an article , High Temperature X-Ray Diffraction Camera, in Reviews of Scientific Instruments. He was granted his doctorate in 1948, X-Ray Determination of Thermal Expansion Coefficients of Crystal. The work was supervised by Professor M. Y. Colby. He taught at the University of Texas at Austin before returning to North Texas in 1951 as chair of the Department of Physics, a position he held until he returned to full-time teaching in 1969. During his tenure as chair, a new physics building was constructed, a doctoral program in physics was begun and the university gained membership in the Oak Ridge Associated Universities consortium. Connell's professional memberships included the American Physical Society, the American Association of Physics Teachers and Sigma Xi. He conducted summer research at the Oak Ridge National Laboratories in the 1950s and served on several proposal review panels for the National Science Foundation. Fred married Geraldine Jopling (1916–2008), who was born in Madisonville, Texas. Gerry went to school in Greenville and Madisonville. She was Phi Beta Kappa at the University of Texas where she majored in Latin and graduated in 2 1/2 years. She moved to Eagle Pass to teach high school Latin and PE, and there, she met the physics teacher, Louis Fred Connell, Jr. She and Fred married in the Kingsville home of Fred’s parents on April 30, 1938. Her Jopling ancestors were early settlers in the Arlington area, where a family cabin is preserved in the Knapp Heritage Park.

In Denton he served as a Flow Hospital volunteer and was a co-organizer of the Lifeline program, which connects older people to medical help in an emergency. He was a longtime member of the board of directors of Fairhaven Retirement Home and was on the council at Good Samaritan Village, where he and his wife had lived since 1991. He died in 2003. His wife Gerry died in 2008.

Clarence Jonathan Newton BA 1944, MA 1947, PhD UT 1952, crystallography. M. Y. Colby supervised his thesis, Clarence Jonathan Newton, son of Bertha McKee Newton and Clarence Earl Newton, was born February 25, 1923, in Decatur, Nebraska. In August 1935, his family moved to Edinburg, Texas. He graduated from the Edinburg Senior High School in 1940 and from the Edinburg Junior College in 1942. From September 1942 until June 1943, he was employed as a Spanish translator in the Office of Censorship in San Antonio and in Brownsville, Texas. In July 1943, he entered the University of Texas and graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in physics in October 1944. From December 1944 until October 1945, he was employed as a physicist, at the Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D. C. He returned to the University of Texas in November 1945, entering the Graduate School. While studying as an undergraduate in the University, he was employed as a student assistant in the Department of Physics; and as a graduate he was employed as a tutor and a teaching fellow in the department. David Blackstock recalls taking labs under “Sir Isaac” as he was referred to by the students. While a student he published an article Thermal Expansion Coefficients of Alpha Monoclinic Selenium in Crystallographica, 4, 477, (1951). He worked at the National Bureau of Standards in Washington, DC and for the Corpus Christi Army Depot, retiring in 1983. Clarence mentioned in an interview that a number of faculty were associated with the magnesium plant owned and operated by the federal government on 400 acres north of Austin, where the Balcones Research Center later was located. The plant produced magnesium from dolomitic limestone for making fire bombs used in WWII. Austin was chosen because it was safe from submarine attack and it was close to a plentiful power source, the Marshall Ford Dam.

After retiring, Clarence returned to Edinburg, TX, where he enjoyed his favorite pastime reading from his extensive collection of books on many various subjects and interest. Despite being confined to a wheelchair and at times suffering from vision problems, he was an invaluable help in identifying people in the group photo and clarifying aspects of the department’s history. Clarence had enjoyed living at "The Bridges" in Edinburg for the last several years of his life. Allstate Hospice cared for him near the end and he was able to leave this life peacefully. Clarence was preceded in death by his parents, Clarence Earl and Bertha Newton, sisters, Mae Barber and "Bobbi" Barrett and by a nephew, John Barber. He was a member of the Unitarians and attended the "Community of Christ Church" in McAllen. Following his wishes, Skinner-Silva Funeral Home of Edinburg was entrusted with his cremation. No services were held. He will be fondly remembered by his friends and neighbors, especially Sandra Swenson, Max & Marilyn Matthews, Pat & Jim Titus and Lewis & Sharon Lodico (who wrote the obituary, used in this paragraph.) Clarence died December 26, 2012, at the age of 89.

George B. Thurston, BS, MS and Ph.D in 1952. He taught at Oklahoma State. Since 1969, he was Professor of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering and Director of the Rheology Laboratory at the University of Texas at Austin until his retirement in 2000. He is a Fellow of the American Physical Society and the Acoustical Society of America, and in 1975 received the Alexander Von Humboldt Senior Scientist Award in recognition of his outstanding research. He is the designer and developer of the VE System and Vilastic-3 viscoelasticity analyzers, founded Vilastic Scientific, Inc. and currently serves as its President.

As a Visiting Professor at the Rheinisch Westfälische Technische Hochschule in Aachen, Germany, he conducted research on the rheology of blood and synovial fluids, and at the Université Louis Pasteur/Institut Charles Sadron in Strasbourg, France, on flow birefringence of macromolecules. His work on biological fluids, flow through porous media (enhanced oil recovery), electrorheological fluids and polymers has been published widely in the scholarly literature, and it is this experience with a broad range of materials and rheological problems that gave birth to two of the most sophisticated rheological instruments on the market today. An early version of the Vilastic-3, for instance, was used in Dr. Thurston's pioneering work that revealed the existence of the viscoelasticity of blood. George died in 2013.

Aaron Serif, MS at UT. He earned a PhD at Berkeley and worked for Shell Oil.

John Ledel Gammel Jr., (1924–), MA at UT, thesis title, Normal Modes of Vibration of a Monosubstituted Benzene Molecule. He earned a PhD with Hans Bethe at Cornell in 1950. The dissertation was entitled, On the Elastic Scattering of Protons by Deuterons. He worked at Texas A&M and Los Alamos and was known for his work on Padé approximant. He published a number of papers on nuclear models with R. M. Thaler and with Keith Brueckner. He later became a professor at St. Louis University. He married Juanita Hill, also in picture.

Gustav Joseph Akerland, There is Gustav J. Akerland, born Sept 14, 1920 in Montgomery, Ohio. He was raised in Dayton, Ohio, the son of a stern Swede who taught his children to hang up their clothes after they took them off by putting the clothes in the yard if they didn't. Akerland's father was an interior designer who hung the wallpaper and applied the paint and plaster as well as sketching the room plans. His mother was a bookkeeper from Germany.

Gustave had two younger sisters; all three children were taught carpentry, cooking, cleaning and sewing. He graduated from high school at age 16, with nearly straight A's, and from the University of Texas with honors in physics. He enlisted in Dayton, Ohio on October 15, 1940, in the Air Force as a navigator or maybe in field artillery and was eventually was assigned to advanced research projects.. He was 5 ft 10 in height, 155 lbs. He was career military, rising to the rank of colonel.

Akerland, his wife, Ida, and two sons moved to Annapolis in 1955, and he commuted to assignments at the Pentagon and Andrews Air Force Base and in Baltimore. His last job with the Air Force was as director of the Electromagnetic Compatibility Analysis Center in Annapolis. He retired from the Air Force in 1975. But he never really retired.

Following his military career he became an alderman in Annapolis, MD. He was serving as Acting Major of Annapolis at the time of his death by suicide in April 1981. He expressed extreme frustration and depression with preparing the budget for the city.

Mary Gowen Foulks, (1923–71) PhD 1959, Propagation and Interaction of Elastic Waves and Shock Waves in Solids. Student of Darrell Hughes. She married fellow physics major Lloyd E. Gourley Jr. in 1948. In 1955, she was at Research and Development Division, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, New Mexico. She worked in atmospheric physics. Later became a physics professor at Austin College, Sherman, TX. An article in May 19, 1959, Austin Aerican Statesman, stated, "Gourleys Get College Posts, Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd E. Gourley Fr., oth of whom will receive their PhD degree in Ausgust from the University of Texas, will join the Austin College faculty in Sherman in September. Mrs Gourley will be associate professor of mathematics and physics and Gourley will be associate professor of physic.

"Both Mr. ad Mrs. Gourley have extensive backgrounds in scientific research. Gourley received his BS and MA degrees from University of Texas and will receive his doctorate upon completion of his dissertation concerning the physical properties of solids under hight pressures.

"His professional experience includes work on petroleum exploration and ordinance problems. From 1948-1951. Gourley was an assistat physicist with the Atlantic Refining Company, leaving there to become a research physicist at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology.

"He has been a research scientist for the University of Texas Department of Physics and a staff member, during the summer of 1957-1958, at Los Alamos Scietific Laboratory.

"Mrs Gourley was an associate physicist from 1952-1956 at the New Mexico Istitute of Mining and Techology and is a research scientist at the University of Texas.

"During the summer of 1957-1958 she was a staff member at Los Alaos and was a computer and physicist for three years during the late 1940s with the Atlantic Refining Company.

"Mrs. Gourley attended North Texas State College in Denton and completed her undergraduate work and received for master's degree from the University of Texas. She has studied on a fellowship from the Austin branch of the American Association of University Women.

"Her dissertation weill be concerned with the propagation of shock waves in solids. She has used an IBM 704 high-speed digital computer to obtain solution for the problem.

"Mrs. Gourley is a member of the American Physical Society, Sigma Xi, the AAUW, and the League of woe Voters.

"Both Mr. and Mrs Gourley were named in the 1957 issue of The Aemrican Men of Science."


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Names that arose while identifying the people in the picture, however they proved not be in the picture.

Herbert Charles Martin (1925–54), MA 1950, PhD 1953, Thesis titled: Excitation of In¹¹⁵ and Au¹⁹⁷ by inelastic scattering of neutrons. He died in a mountain accident while climbing the steep side of Mount Wilson in Colorado. It was suggested that he was killed by a falling boulder knocked off by another climber. He was at Los Alamos at the time. Herb was born in 1925 in Littlefield, Lamb County, Texas. His father, Herb Sr. was a lawyer.

Theo N. (Buddy) Hatfield, Howard S. Coleman, Fred J. Morris, Alvin C. Graves (left UT in 1943 to work at Los Alamos, later Director of Test Division of Los Alamos), Bill Deal (Los Alamos), Joseph Mifsud (Standard Oil), James M. Sharp (Sandia), John Sharp, Jack Koser, George Massingill, Kenneth Erickson (went to Colorado Springs, Sandia Labs, Kaman Aircraft. Malcolm Eugene Ennis (1912-) PhD 1953, Bill Viavant.

 

 

 

John Wallace Carlson, born 1916, Quitman, MS. Attended Miss. College and LSU. Picture shown is from LSU in 1939. He is listed in the Sigma Pi Sigma List.