Research work of Prof. Chiu in Laser-plasma physics
Affiliation and Collaborations:
· Institute for Fusion Study: Collaborating Scientist
· FOCUS: Faculty/Scientist. PI of seed funding program of NSF-FOCUS, 2003.
· Collaborators: Professors Toshi Tajima, Michael Downer, Wendell Horton and Dr. Boris Breizman of University of Texas at Austin and Professor Yukiharu Ohsawa of Nagoya University of Japan
· Dissertation student: Mykhailo Fomytskyi (Dr. Boris Breizman was MF's co-supervisor. Graduated in Fall, 2004)
Publications in laser-plasma physics: From 2000 to 2007
2. C. CHIU, S. Cheshkov and T. Tajima, “High energy laser-wakefield collider with synchronous acceleration”, Phys. Rev. Special Topics-Accelerators and Beams, 3, 101301 (2000).
3. B. Hu, W. Horton, C. CHIU. and T. Petrosky, "Coulomb Scattering in a Strong Magnetic Field", Phys. Plasmas 9, 1116 (2002).
4. C. CHIU, M. Fomytskyi, F. Grigsby, R. M. Raischel, M. C. Downer and Tajima T, "Laser electron accelerators for radiation medicine: a feasibility study," Med. Phys. 31, 2042 (2004).
5. K. K. Kainz, K. R. Hogstrom, J. A. Antolak, P. R. Almond, C. D. Bloch, C. CHIU, M. Fomyts'kyi, F. Raischel, M C Downer, T. Tajima, "Dose properties of a laser accelerated electron beam and prospects for clinical application," Med. Phys. 31, 2053 (2004). Recipient of the AAPM's Farrington Daniels Award as one of the top papers published in that journal during 2004.
6. H. Horton and C. CHIU, "Laser Z-pinch dipole-target experiments to simulate space physics acceleration processes", Phys. Plasmas 11, 1645 (2004).
7. M. Fomyts’kyi, B. N. Breizman, A. V. Arefiev, C. CHIU, “Harmonic generation in clusters,” Phys. Plasmas 11, 3349 (2004).
8. M. Fomyts'kyi, C. CHIU, M. C. Downer, F. Grigsby, "LWFA with Low Energy Raman Seeded Pulses," Proceedings of Advanced Accelerator Concept 2004, Stony Brook, July 2004.
9. M. Fomyts'kyi, C. CHIU, M. C. Downer, F. Grigsby, "Controlled plasma wave generation and particle acceleration through seeding of the forward Raman scattering instability," Physics of Plasmas 12, 1 (2005)
10. W. Horton, C. Chiu and T. Ditmire, "Laboratory Simulation of Bow Shocks and Magnetospheres", Proceedings of HEDLA Conference, Tucson, AZ, 2004; published in Astrophysics and Space Science, 298, 395 (2005).
11. W. Horton, C. Chiu, T. Ditmire, P. Valanju, R. Presura, T. Cowan, V. Ivanov, N. Le Galloudec, "Laboratory Simulation of Magnetospheric Plasma Shocks", Advances in Space Research, Volume 39, Issue 3, 2007, Pages 358-369.