PIRA 1H11.20 Recoil: Tennis Ball Cannon
Instructions / Notes:
- This Demo has caught fire on more than one occassion.
*** Ask the demo office for assistance during your class. ***
- The use of this demonstration has the following restrictions.
- A demo staff member will then load and fuel the cannon.
Photo Shows the Demonstration Apparatus Used by the University
of Texas at Austin
- KEEP THE METHANOL LIGHTER IN THE BACK ROOM UNTIL IT IS TIME TO DO THE DEMO -
- Keep clear of all flamable materials, do not use too much fuel and
protective eyewear is a must. - Remember to SHAKE OUT any excess fuel before firing. -
- To load - push the tennis ball into the tube as far as it will go.
- 2nd Step - Add only 10 to 15 drops of fuel into the fuel hole at the back of the cannon.
- To mix - shake vigorously with a finger covering the fuel hole at the back of the cannon.
- - Before lighting - shake out any excess Methanol with fuel hole open. -
- Use the lighter to fire the cannon.
Last Update 9/16 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.