PIRA 1L10.20 Universal Gravitation Constant: Cavendish
- Remove the two heavy lead balls before transporting the balance from or to its storage spot in the cabinets in Pai 2.48.
- Also, when moving the balance on a cart, make sure to unscrew the safety support system before moving the cart.
- If you don't understand how the safety support system for the inner lead balls within the Cavendish balance works, find out before attempting to move the table/cart in or out of class.
- Finally, once the demonstration is situated in the classroom - turn the screw for the safety support system   in clockwise direction until the small lead balls inside the demo are free to wobble.
Photo shows the rear view of the demonstration used at the U.T. Austin Physics Dept.
Notes and Instructions:
- This is an experiment that cannot be done properly in our lecture halls.
- The apparatus can be used as prop for a show and tell explanation of how the experiment is performed.
Drawing is by Courtesy of the University of Minnesota.
Last Updated 09/18 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.