PIRA 1M40.70 Conservation of Energy: Chaotic Pendulum
Photo Shows the Demonstration Used at U.T. Austin.
- Simple pendulum: the pendulum will initially have a screw stabilizing both pendulums to move as one.
- Chaotic pendulum: with the provided Philips screw driver, unscrew the dark grey middle screw. Begin the system's motion by either starting the motion the same as a simple pendulum, or wrap the blue piece inside the black piece and release.
- When the pendulums are stabilized with the screw, both pieces oscillate with the same phase.
- When the screw is removed, the pieces oscillate with different phases, causing energy to be transferred between the two pieces or lost due to friction.
Demo Staff Instructions:
- Clamp demo to the table with a large C-clamp.
- Be sure to include a Philips-head screw driver with demo.
Last Updated 2022 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.