- Atmospheric Pressure: Magdeberg Spheres
Instructions / Notes:
- This demonstration includes Magdeburg plates, a vacuum pump, a screw driver, and a clamp.
- Remove the plates from their holder and demonstrate that they are separable when air is
between the surfaces.
- Place the plates back into the holder, and clamp together to ensure a tight seal between them.
- Ensure the valve attached to one of the plates is open (parallel position shown in left photo below).
- Turn on vacuum pump with the red switch below the table and wait ~30 seconds.
- Close the valve (perpendicular position shown in right photo below) and turn off the pump.
Photos Show the Demonstration Used by the University of Texas at Austin.
- Disconnect the tubing from the valve and the clamp from the plates.
- Demonstrate the vacuumed space between the surfaces causes them to become inseparable
when pulled on.
- To break vacuum seal, pry the plates apart with the provided screw driver.
- Demonstrates the power of atmospheric pressure.
Demo Staff Notes:
- Be sure to provide a clamp and screw driver for this demonstration.
- Prepare demonstration by attaching the valve to the pump (secure with circular steel clamp shown in photo below) and turning the valve open (parallel position).
Photo Shows the Demonstration Used by the University of Texas at Austin.
Last Updated 2023 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.