PIRA 2C20.60 - Buoyancy Force: Baroscope
Photo Shows the Apparatus Used at U.T. Austin
- The baroscope is initially balanced under atmospheric pressure.
- Place the glass hood on top of the baroscope and turn on the vacuum.
- Observe the styrofoam ball drop.
- Faculty may also release the vacuum seal and observe the baroscope rebalancing.
- Demo consists of a suspended styrofoam ball and an adjustable counter weight.
- Demonstrates the buoyancy forces on a body due to changes in atmospheric pressure.
- The loss of weight of an object in air equals the weight of the air displaced by it.
Demo Staff Notes:
- Balance the rod with the styrofoam ball horizontally using the counter balance.
- Place the baroscope on the vacuum chamber plate without the glass hood.
- Verify that the baroscope is still balanced once rolled into the classroom.
Last Updated 2022 - University of Texas at Austin Physics
Dept. - All Rights Reserved.