PIRA - 3B10.20 - Transverse Waves Models: Slinky on a Table
The image shows demonstration used at the University of Texas at Austin.
Instructions / Notes:
- A slinky is stretched the length of the lecture bench.
- One end is attached to an aluminum bracket, which is clamped to the end of the bench.
- Jerk the spring sideways once to create a single transvers pulse.
- Move the spring from left to right - with a steady rhythm - to create a standing wave.
- With a punching motion, it is possible to show a longitudinal wave as well.
- Last updated on 3/28/2018 - University of Texas at Austin - All Rights Reserved -