PIRA 3D40.20 Singing Rod
Instructions / Notes:
- A long aluminum rod will sing when it is stroked along its length
with rosin and supported at its center.
- A 6-foot , 1/4" diameter rod can be held in the hand between the thumb
and forefinger. Find the center by balancing the rod on your finger.
- Rub some rosin on your free hand and vigorously stroke the rod. YOU
NEED TO SQUEEZE HARD.
- Also try holding the rod at a point 1/3 or 1/4 of its length to excite
- The 12-foot, 3/4" diameter rod is clamped to the lecture bench and has
a louder tone.
Last Updated 2023 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.