PIRA 4A40.30 - Smash a Rose, Plastic Tube or Rubber Ball in LN2
Photo Shows the Demonstration Used at U.T. Austin
Instructions / Notes:
- The demo comes with a hammer, 2 or 3 six-inch clear plastic tubes, and a couple of racquet balls.
- At the start of the demonstration, the instructor should show the pliability of each object by bending / striking it against the table or bouncing the object.
- When LN2 is added to the tray, give the objects sufficient time to freeze.
- Demo Staff: This demo needs a full dewar of liquid nitrogen.
- The hose and the ball take about four to five minutes to fully harden.
- The ball can be thrown to the floor and the tubing smashed with the hammer.
Last Updated 2023 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept. - All Rights Reserved