PIRA 4B20.10 Convection: Convection Tube with Colored Water
Click your browser's back button to return to the Demo Master List.
Photo of University of Texas at Austin's Demonstration
Instructions / Notes:
- A a circle made with glass tubing is filled to the top with water.
- A gas torch is used below the tubing to heat either the right or left side.
- Convection begins within a few seconds of heating the water within the tube.
- Add a few drops of colored water to the top opening to enable students to see the effect.
- The water on the side with the gas torch expands and rises as it heats up.
- The water from the other side fills in the space as the hot water rises, resulting in a circular convection pattern.
- Include a small beaker with colored water.
Last Updated 2023 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Department - All Rights Reserved