5A50.30 Electrostatic Machines: Van de Graaff Generator
Instructions / Notes:
- Demo Staff: Van de Graaff generator is supplied with a grounded discharge sphere.
- Ideally the Van de Graaff is plugged into a demo table with a remote switch or power strip.
- With the variable control turned clockwise, turn the power on.
- Use the separate grounded discharge sphere to show a jumping spark across an air gap.
- To shut off the Van de Graaff without a shock, turn it off at the remote switch or the power strip.
- After turning off the remote switch and use the grounded discharge sphere to discharge the VDG.
Photo Shows the Apparatus Used by the University of Texas at Austin.
Last Updated 3/99 - University of Texas at Austin Physics
Dept. - All Rights Reserved.>