5A50.30 Electrostatic Machines: Van de Graaff Generator
Instructions / Notes:
- Demo Staff: Van de Graaff generator is supplied with a grounded discharge sphere.
- Ideally the Van de Graaff is plugged into a demo table with a remote switch or power strip.
- With the variable control turned clockwise, turn the power on.
- Use the separate grounded discharge sphere to show a jumping spark across an air gap.
- To shut off the Van de Graaff without a shock, turn it off at the remote switch or the power strip.
- After turning off the remote switch and use the grounded discharge sphere to discharge the VDG.
Photo Shows the Apparatus Used by the University of Texas at Austin.
Last Updated 2023 - University of Texas at Austin Physics
Dept. - All Rights Reserved.>