PIRA 5B10.10 - Electric Field: Hair Standing on End.
Instructions / Notes:
- Remove pointed metal items such as keys, eye wear and microphones.
- Stand on the insulated stool. Keep one hand placed on top of sphere.
- With the variable control turned clockwise, turn the power on.
- Quickly place the second hand on the sphere.
- Allow yourself to charge up. ( Fine, clean, unconditioned, dry hair stands out best.)
- To shut off the Van de Graaff without a shock find the wooden handled discharge sphere.
- Touch the metal discharge sphere against Van de Graff with one hand.
- With the other hand and turn off the variable motor control (the plastic knob).
Photo Shows the Apparatus Used by the University of Texas at Austin.
Drawing is by Courtesy of the University of Minnesota.
Last Updated 1/98 - University of Texas at Austin Physics
Dept. - All Rights Reserved.