PIRA 5B10.25 - Confetti on a Electrostatic Generator.
Photo Shows Apparatus Used at the University of Texas at Austin.
Instructions / Notes:
- Set a plexiglass ring that is a 1/4 to 1/2 full of puffed wheat on top of the Van de Graaf
- When you switch on the Van der Graaff, the puffed wheat fly out of the styrofoam ring.
- Use the provided discharge sphere to ground the top dome of Van de Graaff when turning off the power.
- Test the Van de Graaff in the back room, BEFORE putting any puffed wheat into the top cup.
- Also, the Van de Graaff always needs a discharge sphere attached to the plug shown below.
Last Updated 9/2016 - University of Texas at Austin Physics
Dept. - All Rights Reserved.