PIRA 5C20.30 - Capacitance: Dissectible Capacitor
Photo Shows the Demonstration used at the University of Texas.
Instructions / Notes:
- Demonstration includes a Leyden jar type capacitor, metal grounding plate and a Wimshurst machine for
- One pole the Wimshurst is connected to the top post of the Leyden jar.
- The second pole on the Wimshurst is connected with a wire to the
edge of a metal grounding plate.
- Demo Staff: Use an alligator clip that has been spread open a bit at at the connector to facilitate quick removal of the red wire.
Photo Shows the loose fit of the alligator clip relative to the banana plug on the end of the red wire .
Procedures / Presentation in Class:
- After charging the Leyden Jar with the Wimshurst, quickly disconnect
the red wire from the top post.
Photo Shows the removal of the red wire .
- The Leyden jar can now be dissassembled and then reassembled on top of the wooden portion of the table.
The 3 minute video below is intended for staff use.
Last Updated 4/18 - University of Texas at Austin
Physics Dept. - All Rights Reserved.