PIRA 5D40.10 - Conduction in Gases: Jacob's Ladder
Instructions / Notes:
- This is a step up transformer.
- Turn on the power and the discharge will travel up the wires.
- The distance between the wires is the critical adjustment. The wires
should not be moving.
- This does not work well on humid days.
- Unplug this after use so that students will not play with it after
Photo Shows the Demonstration Apparatus Used by the University
of Texas at Austin.
Drawing is by Courtesy of the University of Minnesota.
Last Updated 1/98 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept..
- All Rights Reserved.