PIRA 5D40.10 - Conduction in Gases: Jacob's Ladder
Instructions / Notes:
- This is a step up transformer.
- Note: This demo does not perform well in a humid environment.
- Note: The copper wires have already been sanded by demo staff.
- Turn on the power and the discharge will travel up the wires.
- The distance between the wires is the critical adjustment, so the wires
should NOT be moving when the demo is turned on.
- For safety purposes, unplug the demo when it is not in use.
Photo Shows the Demonstration Apparatus Used by the University
of Texas at Austin.
Last Updated 2023 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept..
- All Rights Reserved.