PIRA 5G50.50 - Temperature and Magnetism: Meissner Effect
Photo Shows the Demonstration Used by the University of Texas
Instructions / Notes:
- Demo Staff: Pick up the liquid nitrogen early or the day before the demo.
- A superconductor disc is placed in a styrofoam dish and liquid nitrogen
is added to the dish by the instructor.
- Once the disc is covered with LN2, a small magnet is placed on top and within a several seconds it will begin to
- This demonstration is best displayed with the use of a goose neck television camera, which has a macro capability.
- In lieu of the above goose neck television camera, a small camera with a video mode and an HDMI output may be used to show the demo.
- Whichever camera is used, it must be connected to the classroom A/V system.
Photo # 2 Shows the Current Demonstration Set Up Used by the University of Texas
Photo # 3: This is what the demo looked like with the use of our former camera, which had a macro lens.
- Last Update 9/2016 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.