PIRA 5H15.40 Fields and Currents: Solenoid and Iron Filings
Click your browser's back button to return to the demo master list.
Photo of the Demonstration at the University of Texas at Austin.
Instructions / Notes:
- A solenoid is wound through a piece of plexiglass for use with iron filings on an overhead projector.
- Iron filings are sprinkled on the plexiglass surface and the random orientation should be noted.
- The power supply provides only an impulse current to the solenoid.
- One or two pulses of current will reorient the iron filings.
- The filings will reorient into lines where the magnetic field lines are strongest.
Photo Shows Demo On the Document Camera.
Last Updated 6/99 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Department - All Rights Reserved