PIRA 5H30.20 - Forces on Moving Charges: e/m Tube
Instructions / Notes:
- Turn on the emmitter power supply (2 switches), adjust the fillament
current so that it does not exceed 0.5 Amps.
- The accelerating electric potential is set up with two 45V batteries.
- You should be able to see the electron beam if the lights are turned
- Turn on the coils' power supply that commend the intensity of the magnetic
field between those coils. When varying the intensity of the magnetic field,
the electron beam gets more or less curved.
- You may also hold a permanent magnet near to create a corkscrew path.
Photo Shows the Apparatus Used by the University
of Texas at Austin.
Drawing is by Courtesy of the University of Minnesota.
Last Updated 2/98 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.