PIRA 5H40.30 - Force on Current in a Wire: Jumping
Instructions / Notes:
- A long wire is hanging in between the poles of a horsehoe permanent
- Close the knife switch closest to the power supply one way, the wire
jumps in one direction.
- Close the switch the other way, the wire jumps in the other direction.
- A second knife switch on the Faraday cart selects the option between
this demonstration and two other demonstrations that induce a current into
- Turn Off the Power Supply when the demonstration is not in use.
Photo Shows the Demonstration Apparatus Used by the University
of Texas at Austin.
Drawing Represents a Demonstration used at the University of Minnesota.
Last Updated 2/98 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.