PIRA 5H40.30 - Force on Current in a Wire: Jumping
Instructions / Notes:
- A long wire is hanging in between the poles of a horsehoe permanent
- Close the knife switch closest to the power supply one way, the wire
jumps in one direction.
- Close the switch the other way, the wire jumps in the other direction.
- A second knife switch on the Faraday cart selects the option between
this demonstration and two other demonstrations that induce a current into
- Turn off the power supply when the demonstration is not in use.
Photo Shows the Demonstration Apparatus Used by the University
of Texas at Austin.
Magnet and knife switch shown below.
Last Updated 2023 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.