PIRA 5K20.30 - Eddy Currents: Jumping Ring
Photo Shows the Demo Used by the University of Texas at Austin.
Instructions / Notes:
- This demo is also referred to as Thompson's Jumping Ring.
- Demo Staff & Faculty: Liquid nitrogen will need to be picked from RLM on the day before the demo is shown.
- Two aluminum rings, one with a thin slit cut out and other being solid all the way around, are place around the core a large coil.
- With a ring in place, turn on the switch. The solid ring made of aluminum will fly upward. Cool it with LN2 and it will fly higher.
- You may want a student to try to hold the solid ring down. It warms up quite quickly.
- The ring with a slit cut out of it does nothing.
- A secondary coil with a light bulb is provided to show the apparatus can function as an AC transformer.
- Prolonged operation will definitely trip the circuit breaker on surge protector / power strip mounted to the the table.
Photo below shows the apparatus powering a secondary coil with a light bulb.
Last Updated 11/2013 - University of Texas at Austin Physics Dept.
- All Rights Reserved.