Welcome to the Demkov Materials Physics Group!
We are always interested in recruiting new students who are interested in condensed matter physics, and hope you will consider our group for your studies.
Demkov Group News
New Patent Issued
Prof. Demkov and Dr. Posadas have received a patent for their recent invention related to materials integration for spintronic devices - "Efficiently injecting spin-polarized current into semiconductors by interfacing crystalline ferromagnetic oxides directly on the semiconudctor material" (US Patent No. 9,023,66 issued 05/05/2015).
Exciting New Research Opportunity!
The group is excited to announce a new research opportunity to work with IBM Zürich on non-linear optics. Both experimental and theoretical opportunities are available. For more details, please visit the IRES Program page or e-mail Prof. Demkov.
Kurt Fredrickson Wins Ovshinsky Student Travel Award for Materials Physics
Kurt was one of the students selected by the APS Division of Materials Physics to receive one of this years Ovshinsky Travel Awards in order to attend the 2015 March meeting and present his current research on the ``Switchable two-dimensional electron gas at the interface of a ferroelectric and nonpolar insulator: BaTiO3/SrTiO3.''
The recently published research on the integration of BaTiO3, its switchable polarization, and charge modulation of Ge was recently featured in an article for the EE Times (the article can be found here, while the research article can be found here).
Patrick Ponath Wins Young Scientist Award
At the recent Physics & Chemistry of Surfaces & Interfaces conference (PCSI 42), Patrick Ponath won the Young Scientist Award for his recent work on the integration of ferroelectric BaTiO3 on Germanium. Read more.
The recently published research by the group (in collaboration with researchers at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center and Oak Ridge National Laboratory) on ``Switching of ferroelectric polarization in epitaxial BaTiO3 films on silicon without a conducting bottom electrode'' (Nat. Nanotechnol. 8, 748 (2013) has recently been featured on as one of the Top-10 Brookhaven Lab Breakthroughs of 2013. Their review of the work can be read here.
New Book on Functional Oxides
Professor Alex Demkov and Senior Scientist Agham B. Posadas are pleased to announce that they have written a book related to the research done by the group titled ``Integration of Functional Oxides with Semiconductors'' to be released in the Spring of 2014. The scope of the book is to provide an understanding of the physical principles of oxide/semiconductor epitaxy. The book describes the current state of the field both in theoretical and experimental advances. The book will be published by Spring under their Briefs in Materials series and can be purchased via Amazon.
10 Most Recent Publications
- K. D. Fredrickson, C. Lin, S. Zollner, and A. A. Demkov, "Theoretical study of negative optical mode splitting in LaAlO3," Phys. Rev. B 93, 134301 (2016)."
- K. D. Fredrickson and A. A. Demkov, "Spin-polarized, orbital-selected hole gas at the EuO/Pt interface," J. Appl. Phys. 119, 095309 (2016).
- T. Hadamek, A. B. Posadas, A. Dhamdhere, D. J. Smith, and A. A. Demkov, "Spectral identification scheme for epitaxially grown single-phase niobium dioxide," J. Appl. Phys. 119, 095308 (2016).
- H.-W. Wu, T. Aoki, A. B. Posadas, A. A. Demkov, and D. J. Smith, "Anti-phase boundaries at the SrTiO3/Si (001) interface studied using aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy," Appl. Phys. Lett. 108, 091605 (2016)
- C. Hu, M. D. McDaniel, A. Jiang, A. Posadas, A. A. Demkov, J. G. Ekerdt, and E. T. Yu, "A Low-Leakage Epitaxial High-k Gate Oxide for Germanium Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Devices," AC Appl. Mater. Interfaces 8, 5416 (2016)
- S. Lu, K. J. Kormondy, T. Q. Ngo, T. Aoki, A. B. Posadas, J. G. Ekerdt, A. A. Demkov, M. R. McCartney, and D. J. Smith, "Spectrum and phase mapping across the epitaxial γ-Al2O3/SrTiO3 interface," Appl. Phys. Lett. 108, 051606 (2016).
- H. Seo and A. A. Demkov, "Early stages of the Schottky barrier formation in submonolayer Pt on SrTiO3 (001)," Phys. Rev B 92, 245301 (2015).
- M. D. McDaniel, T. Q. Ngo, S. Hu, A. Posadas, A. A. Demkov, and J. G. Ekerdt, "Atomic layer deposition of perovskite oxides and their epitaxial integration with Si, Ge, and other semiconductors," Appl. Phys. Rev. 2, 041301 (2015).
- C. Lin and A. A. Demkov, "Quench dynamics of Anderson impurity model using configuration interaction method," Phys. Rev. B 92, 155135 (2015).
- R. C. Hatch, M. Choi, A. B. Posadas, and A. A. Demkov, "Comparison of acid-and non-acid-based surface preparations of Nb-doped SrTiO3 (001)," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 33, 061204 (2015).